Christ in Our Home devotions Feb 8-14, 2016

This world can become very confusing for Christians. We are looking for God, but often times we miss Him because we are looking for Him in the wrong places. So we often end up asking the question, "Where is God?"

We ask that question because we want to see God in our achievements, in our success, and in our glory. We think God is there because He must be backing our progress. However, we then have difficulty finding God in our suffering. Since we are having a difficult time in our marriage or our finances are in the tank or our teenagers won't talk to us, we conclude that God must not be present. 

But the reality is that God is most often seen in times of suffering. He is there bearing His cross. He is there bearing our crosses, too. After Jesus descended the Mount of Transfiguration, He the ascended Mt. Calvary. Jesus knows about suffering. He suffered so that He might remove our eternal suffering. 

On the Mount of Glory, God the Father spoke from heaven and told His disciples of all ages, "This is my Son. Listen to Him." 

We look for God by listening to Jesus.

That's how you play Marco Polo in the pool, isn't it? We call out to those who are in the pool with us. We hear them splashing and calling out, "Polo" in response to our "Marco." We look for them by listening to them.

The same goes for Jesus.

That's what the Christ in Our Home devotions are meant to do - help you look for God by listening to His Son in His Word. Please use this devotional liturgy (order of service) with Bible readings or devotions. They are meant to be an aid for you and your family in your listening and looking.


Christ In Our Home Devotions

1st Sunday in Lent
Jesus is tempted in the wilderness.
  
1. Make the sign of the cross over yourself and say:
In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.
  
2. Pray Luther’s Morning or Evening Prayer:
I thank you, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, your dear Son, that you have kept me this night from all harm and danger. Keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please you. Into your hands I commend my body and soul and all things. Let your holy angel be with me, that the wicked foe may have no power over me. Amen.

I thank you, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, your dear Son, that you have graciously kept me this day. Forgive me all my sins, and graciously keep me this night. Into your hands I commend my body and soul and all things. Let your holy angel be with me, that the wicked foe may have no power over me. Amen.

 3. Pray the Lord’s Prayer:
Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as in heaven. Give us today our daily bread. Forgive us our sins, as we forgive those who sin against us. Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours now and forever. Amen.
  
4. Pray the Prayer of the Week
Lord our strength, the battle of good and evil rages within and around us, and our ancient foe tempts us with his deceits and empty promises.  Keep us steadfast in your Word, and when we fall, raise us up again and restore us through your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen.

5. Say the Apostles’ Creed:
     I believe in God, the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth.
     I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died and was buried. He descended into hell. The third day he rose again from the dead. He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of God the Father Almighty. From there he will come to judge the living and the dead.
     I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy Christian Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. Amen.

 6. Pray the Psalm of the Week: Psalm 91
Refrain: Keep me, keep me as the apple of your eye.
Hide me, hide me in the shadow of your wings.

He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High*
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the LORD,*
“He is my refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust.”
Refrain

You will not fear the terror of the night,*
nor the arrow that flies by day.
If you make the Most High your dwelling,*
then no harm will befall you,
no disaster will come near your tent.
For he will command his angels concerning you*
to guard you in all your ways;
they will lift you up in their hands,*
so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.
Glory be to the Father and to the Son*
and to the Holy Spirit,
as it was in the beginning,*
is now, and will be forever. Amen.

Refrain

 7. Say the Verse of the Week:
It is written: “Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.”  (Matthew 4:10b)

 8. Read a Devotion or the Following Suggested Scriptures
M: James 4:1-10; Job 1:6-22
T: James 1:13-18; Deuteronomy 8:2-5, 11-18a
W: Hebrews 4:14-16; Exodus 24:12-18
T: Hebrews 12:1-7; John 2:13-22
F: Matthew 16:21-28; Hebrews 2:9-18
S: Matthew 16:21-28; Hebrews 2:9-18
S: Worship in the House of the Lord

 9. Prayer of JOY: Jesus; Others; and Yourself

 10. Sing or Say the Hymn of the Week: 
CW 200  A Mighty Fortress Is Our God
1  A mighty fortress is our God, A trusty shield and weapon;
He helps us free from ev’ry need That has us now o’ertaken.
The old evil foe Now means deadly woe;
Deep guile and great might Are his dread arms in fight;
On earth is not his equal.

2  With might of ours can naught be done; Soon were our loss effected.
But for us fights the valiant one Whom God himself elected.
You ask, “Who is this?” Jesus Christ it is,
The almighty Lord. And there’s no other God;
He holds the field forever.

Text: Martin Luther, 1483–1546; tr. composite.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Water into blood and water into wine

Justified in Jesus

Jesus has prepared a place for you - A funeral sermon for Jim Hermann