Jesus “I Am” Statements

Almost daily there are advertisements that make incredible claims: “This is the best product on the market.” “This is the most effective ever seen.” “There is nothing that can compare with this.” These are just a few of the claims. Then, the offer becomes even more enticing: “Double the amount at an incredible savings.” Finally, there is the clincher: “A 100% money back guarantee.” Almost immediately the thought ignites: “This is too good to be true.”

Too good to be true. Disappointment can usually be avoided when this proverb is followed. It is a reliable rule of thumb, except in one instance. The one exception is with Jesus. Jesus gives more than a money back guarantee. He even offers more than double the regular amount. He provides solid and unmistakable proof.

What is this great deal that Jesus offers us? Himself. Over and over again. Throughout the Gospel of John Jesus portrays Himself with “I am” statements.

John 6:35 Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty.”

John 6:41 At this the Jews began to grumble about him because he said, “I am the bread that came down from heaven.”

John 6:48 “I am the bread of life.”

John 6:51 “I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.”

John 8:12 When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”

John 8:18 “I am one who testifies for myself; my other witness is the Father, who sent me.”

John 8:23 But he continued, “You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world.”

John 8:58 “I tell you the truth,” Jesus answered, “before Abraham was born, I am!”

John 9:5 “While I am in the world, I am the light of the world.”

John 10:7 Therefore Jesus said again, “I tell you the truth, I am the gate for the sheep.”

John 10:9 “I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. He will come in and go out, and find pasture.”

John 10:11 “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.”

John 10:14 “I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me.”

John 11:25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies.”

John 14:6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”

John 14:11 “Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the miracles themselves.”

John 14:20 “On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you.”

John 15:1 “I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener.”

John 15:5 “I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.”

Not I was or I will be or I might be but always I am.

All of this almost sounds to good to be true. Only Jesus could be the Bread of Life, the Light of the world, the Good Shepherd, the Vine, the Way the Truth and the Life. He is everything we need Him to be. Guaranteed!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justified in Jesus

Water into blood and water into wine

Jesus has prepared a place for you - A funeral sermon for Jim Hermann