If you could Hie to Kolob

Don't ever believe that the Mormon church and the Christian Church are the same. They are not. Though Mormons may pay lip-service to Christ and sound Christian in public, they are not Christian in their doctrines.

One of the things that we are proud of as Lutherans is how our theology is expressed for all to hear in our liturgy and hymns. I've posted today some of the Mormon theology expressed in their hymns. I would enjoy hearing your comments about your impressions of these hymns and theology.



You can find the lyrics here. If you could hie to Kolob It is from a sight called Times and Seasons: "a place to gather and discuss ideas of interest to faithful Latter-day Saints."

Here are lyrics to another LDS hymn called "O My Father." Note how it illustrates the Mormon theology of Father and Mother gods out in space. How we came from there and will return to them so that we can then be gods as well.

O my Father, thou that dwellest
In the high and glorious place,
When shall I regain thy presence
And again behold thy face?
In thy holy habitation,
Did my spirit once reside?
In my first primeval childhood
Was I nurtured near thy side?

For a wise and glorious purpose
Thou hast placed me here on earth
And withheld the recollection
Of my former friends and birth;
Yet ofttimes a secret something
Whispered, "You're a stranger here,"
And I felt that I had wandered
From a more exalted sphere.

I had learned to call thee Father,
Thru thy Spirit from on high,
But, until the key of knowledge
Was restored, I knew not why.
In the heav'ns are parents single?
No, the thought makes reason stare!
Truth is reason; truth eternal
Tells me I've a mother there.

When I leave this frail existence,
When I lay this mortal by,
Father, Mother, may I meet you
In your royal courts on high?
Then, at length, when I've completed
All you sent me forth to do,
With your mutual approbation
Let me come and dwell with you.

O my Father
Text: Eliza R. Snow

Comments

  1. It's sad and amazing. Joseph Smith looked into his hat and saw the "words from God" to write the Book of Mormon.

    The Jehovah Witness' kept getting proved wrong by the King James Bible so they did their own translation-changing the words to coinside with their beliefs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Justified in Jesus

Water into blood and water into wine

Jesus has prepared a place for you - A funeral sermon for Jim Hermann