Christ in Our Home Jan 24-31, 2016

A characteristic of a healthy congregation is that it feels like a family-people feel a sense of belonging, care about each other, and feel valued. The reverse is equally true – a characteristic of a healthy home is that it feels like a church.

I don't mean that your house needs a pipe organ or that the seating should be wooden pews. But your home does need a spiritual environment. Your family needs to connect with God each day, not just on Sundays. Your home can be a temple of worship, Bible study, prayer, and Christian songs. Paul writes, "Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God" (Colossians 3:16).

Here's another truth – it will never happen by itself. Our lives are hectic. Parenting is exhausting, and if you wait until you have extra time and feel peppy, that day will never come. Just as it is important for husbands and wives to make time for each other, your family's relationship with God will flourish if the mother and father decide to make God welcome in their home.

May the Lord bless you as you bring Christ into your home.  


Christ In Our Home Devotions

4th Sunday after Epiphany
Jesus is not accepted in Nazareth.


1. Make the sign of the cross over yourself and say:
In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.


2. Pray Luther’s Morning or Evening Prayer:
I thank you, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, your dear Son, that you have kept me this night from all harm and danger. Keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please you. Into your hands I commend my body and soul and all things. Let your holy angel be with me, that the wicked foe may have no power over me. Amen.

I thank you, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, your dear Son, that you have graciously kept me this day. Forgive me all my sins, and graciously keep me this night. Into your hands I commend my body and soul and all things. Let your holy angel be with me, that the wicked foe may have no power over me. Amen.


3. Pray the Lord’s Prayer:
Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as in heaven. Give us today our daily bread. Forgive us our sins, as we forgive those who sin against us. Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours now and forever. Amen.


4. Pray the Prayer of the Week
Lord God, you know that we are surrounded by many dangers and that we often stumble and fall. Strengthen us in body and mind, and bring us safely through all temptations; through Jesus Christ, your Son, our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen.

5. Say the Apostles’ Creed:
     I believe in God, the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth.
     I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died and was buried. He descended into hell. The third day he rose again from the dead. He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of God the Father Almighty. From there he will come to judge the living and the dead.
     I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy Christian Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. Amen.


6. Pray the Psalm of the Week: Psalm 78
Refrain: Your Word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.
O my people, hear my teaching;*
listen to the words of my mouth.
I will utter things from of old,*
what we have heard and what our fathers have told us.
We will not hide them from our children;*
we will tell the next generation
the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD.
Refrain
The LORD decreed statutes for Jacob*
and established the law in Israel,
so the next generation would know them,*
and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God*
and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.
Glory be to the Father and to the Son*
and to the Holy Spirit,
as it was in the beginning,*
is now, and will be forever. Amen.
Refrain

  
7. Say the Verse of the Week:
Alleluia. The Spirit of the Lord is on me; he has anointed me to preach good news. Alleluia.  (Luke 4:18a)


8. Read a Devotion or the Following Suggested Scriptures
M: Luke 12:22-33; Numbers 22:21-35
T: Jeremiah 8:4-7; Exodus 14:19-31
W: Jeremiah 5:20-24; Isaiah 30:18-26
T: Acts 28:1-6; Daniel 6:19-28
F: Romans 7:14-25a; Genesis 9:8-17
S: Hosea 2:20-23; Isaiah 65:17-20a, 23-25
S: Worship in the House of the Lord


9. Prayer of JOY: Jesus; Others; and Yourself


10. Sing or Say the Hymn of the Week: 
CW 541— “Lord Jesus Christ, with Us Abide”
1  Lord Jesus Christ, with us abide, For round us falls the eventide,
Nor let your Word, that heav’nly light, For us be ever veiled in night.

7  Oh, grant that in your holy Word We here may live and die, dear Lord,
And when our journey’s ending here, Receive us into glory there.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justified in Jesus

Water into blood and water into wine

Jesus has prepared a place for you - A funeral sermon for Jim Hermann