Christ in Our Home devotions Mar 21-27, 2016

Christ In Our Home Devotions

Easter Sunday
Jesus rises from the grave


1. Make the sign of the cross over yourself and say:
In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.


2. Pray Luther’s Morning or Evening Prayer:
I thank you, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, your dear Son, that you have kept me this night from all harm and danger. Keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please you. Into your hands I commend my body and soul and all things. Let your holy angel be with me, that the wicked foe may have no power over me. Amen.

I thank you, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, your dear Son, that you have graciously kept me this day. Forgive me all my sins, and graciously keep me this night. Into your hands I commend my body and soul and all things. Let your holy angel be with me, that the wicked foe may have no power over me. Amen.


3. Pray the Lord’s Prayer:
Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as in heaven. Give us today our daily bread. Forgive us our sins, as we forgive those who sin against us. Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours now and forever. Amen.


4. Pray the Prayer of the Week
Almighty God, by the glorious resurrection of your Son Jesus Christ you conquered death and opened the gate to eternal life. Grant that we, who have been raised with him through baptism, may walk in the newness of life and ever rejoice in the hope of sharing his glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord, to whom, with you and the Holy Spirit be dominion and praise now and forever. Amen.
5. Say the Apostles’ Creed:
     I believe in God, the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth.
     I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died and was buried. He descended into hell. The third day he rose again from the dead. He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of God the Father Almighty. From there he will come to judge the living and the dead.
     I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy Christian Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. Amen.


6. Pray the Psalm of the Week: Psalm 118
Refrain: This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad!
This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad!

The LORD is my strength and my song;*
he has become my salvation.
The LORD’S right hand is lifted high;*
the LORD’S right hand has done mighty things!
I will not die but live,*
and will proclaim what the LORD has done.

Refrain

I will give you thanks, for you answered me;*
you have become my salvation.
The stone the builders rejected has become the capstone;*
the LORD has done this, and it is marvelous in our eyes.
This is the day the LORD has made;*
let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Glory be to the Father and to the Son*
and to the Holy Spirit,
as it was in the beginning,*
is now, and will be forever. Amen.

Refrain



7. Say the Verse of the Week:
Alleluia. Alleluia. Christ is risen! He is risen indeed! Alleluia. This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it. Alleluia. (Psalm 118:24)

8. Read a Devotion or the Following Suggested Scriptures
M: Joshua 4‐6, Luke 2:1‐24
T: Joshua 7‐8, Luke 2:25‐52
W: Joshua 9‐10, Luke 3
T: Joshua 11‐13, Luke 4:1‐32
F: Joshua 14‐15, Luke 4:33‐44
S: Joshua 16‐18, Luke 5:1‐16
S: Joshua 19‐20, Luke 5:17‐39 & Worship in the House of the Lord


9. Prayer of JOY: Jesus; Others; and Yourself


10. Sing or Say the Hymn of the Week: 
161  Christ Jesus Lay in Death’s Strong Bands
1  Christ Jesus lay in death’s strong bands
For our offenses given;
But now at God’s right hand he stands
And brings us life from heaven.
Therefore let us joyful be
And sing to God right thankfully
Loud songs of hallelujah. Hallelujah!

2  It was a strange and dreadful strife
When life and death contended.
The victory remained with life;
The reign of death was ended.
Holy Scripture plainly says
That death is swallowed up by death,
Its sting is lost forever. Hallelujah!

Text: Martin Luther, 1483–1546, abr.; tr. Richard Massie, 1800–87, alt.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Water into blood and water into wine

Justified in Jesus

Jesus has prepared a place for you - A funeral sermon for Jim Hermann