Christ in Our Home devotions Dec 26 - Dec 31, 2016

Christ In Our Home Devotions

1st Sunday after Christmas
God cares for his sons


1. Make the sign of the cross over yourself and say:
In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.


2. Pray Luther’s Morning or Evening Prayer:
I thank you, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, your dear Son, that you have kept me this night from all harm and danger. Keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please you. Into your hands I commend my body and soul and all things. Let your holy angel be with me, that the wicked foe may have no power over me. Amen.

I thank you, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, your dear Son, that you have graciously kept me this day. Forgive me all my sins, and graciously keep me this night. Into your hands I commend my body and soul and all things. Let your holy angel be with me, that the wicked foe may have no power over me. Amen.


3. Pray the Lord’s Prayer:
Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as in heaven. Give us today our daily bread. Forgive us our sins, as we forgive those who sin against us. Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours now and forever. Amen.


4. Pray the Prayer of the Week
Almighty God, in mercy you sent your one and only Son to take upon himself our human nature. By his gracious coming deliver us from the corruption of our sin and transform us into the likeness of his glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen.

5. Say the Apostles’ Creed:
     I believe in God, the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth.
     I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died and was buried. He descended into hell. The third day he rose again from the dead. He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of God the Father Almighty. From there he will come to judge the living and the dead.
     I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy Christian Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. Amen.


6. Pray the Psalm of the Week: Psalm 2
Refrain: Great are the works of the Lord. Alleluia! Alleluia!
Great are the works of the Lord.

Why do the nations conspire*
and the peoples plot in vain?
The kings of the earth take their stand and the rulers
gather together against the LORD*
and against his Anointed One.

Refrain

The One enthroned in heaven laughs;*
the Lord scoffs at them.
Then he rebukes them in his anger
and terrifies them in his wrath, saying,*
“I have installed my King on Zion, my holy hill.”
I will proclaim the decree of the LORD:*
He said to me, “You are my Son;
today I have become your Father.”
Glory be to the Father and to the Son*
and to the Holy Spirit,
as it was in the beginning,*
is now, and will be forever. Amen.

Refrain


7. Say the Verse of the Week:
Alleluia. Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts. Alleluia. (Colossians 3:15a)


8. Read a Devotion or the Following Suggested Scriptures
Dec 26 Zechariah 1‐3, Revelation 17
Dec 27 Zechariah 4‐6, Revelation 18
Dec 28 Zechariah 7‐9, Revelation 19
Dec 29 Zechariah 10‐12, Revelation 20
Dec 30 Zechariah 13‐14, Revelation 21
Dec 31 Malachi 1‐4, Revelation 22 & Worship in the House of the Lord


9. Prayer of JOY: Jesus; Others; and Yourself


10. Sing or Say the Hymn of the Week: 

41  Let All Together Praise Our God

1  Let all together praise our God Before his highest throne;
Today he opens heav’n again And gives us his own Son,
And gives us his own Son.

2  He leaves his heav’nly Father’s throne, Is born an infant small,
And in a manger, poor and lone, Lies in a humble stall,
Lies in a humble stall.

3  He veils in flesh his pow’r divine A servant’s form to take;
In want and lowliness must die Who heav’n and earth did make,
Who heav’n and earth did make.
  
4  A wondrous change which he does make: He takes our flesh and blood,
And he conceals for sinners’ sake His majesty as God,
His majesty as God.

5  He serves that I a lord may be—A great exchange indeed!
Could Jesus’ love do more for me To help me in my need,
To help me in my need?

6  For us he opens wide the door Of paradise today.
The angel guards the gate no more; To God our thanks we pay,
To God our thanks we pay.

Text: Nikolaus Herman, c. 1480–1561, abr.; tr. August Crull, 1845–1923, alt.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justified in Jesus

Water into blood and water into wine

Believe It or Not