Worship Helps for Pentecost 5



Artwork: Joseph and Potiphar’s Wife

Artist: Guido Reni
Date: 1630

Worship Theme: Is faithfulness to Christ worth the trouble it brings? The life of faith is lived in a godless world, and it is therefore certain to be met with persecution. Like our Suffering Savior, we too bear his cross in our daily interactions with the unholy trio. The Lord, however, uses these persecutions suffered for the sake of the Gospel to refine us into the pure, precious metal of his children. Strengthened through the means of grace, we boldly confess Jesus as the Christ in the face of any persecution or trouble. The Church prays that God in his mercy would direct the affairs of this world so that the Church might have peace, but at the same time we prepare ourselves for persecution.

Old Testament: Genesis 39:6b–12, 16–23  
Joseph was well built and handsome. 7Sometime after all this, his master’s wife had her eye on Joseph, and she said, “Come, lie down with me.”
8But he refused and said to his master’s wife, “Look, my master does not concern himself with anything that has been entrusted to me in the house. He has put me in charge of everything that he has. 9He has no one in this house greater than I am, and he has not withheld anything from me except you, because you are his wife. How then could I do such a great evil and sin against God?”
10She kept speaking to Joseph day after day, but he would not listen to her. He would not lie down beside her or even be with her. 11But one day when he went into the house to do his work, none of the men of the household were there inside the house. 12She caught him by his garment and said, “Come, lie down with me!” He left behind his garment in her hand and ran outside.
16She kept his garment beside her until his master came home. 17This is what she told him, “The Hebrew servant, whom you have brought to us, came to me to put me to shame and said to me, ‘Let me lie down with you.’ 18And look, when I screamed and cried out, he left behind his garment with me and ran outside.”
19As soon as his master heard the words that his wife spoke to him, saying, “This is what your servant did to me,” he became very angry. 20Joseph’s master took him and put him into the prison where the king’s prisoners were confined, so Joseph was kept in prison there.
21But the Lord was with Joseph. He showed mercy to him and gave him favor in the sight of the warden of the prison. 22The warden of the prison made Joseph responsible for all the prisoners who were in the prison. Joseph was responsible for whatever they did there. 23The warden of the prison did not pay attention to anything that was under his authority, because the Lord was with Joseph, and the Lord made everything that he did succeed.

1. What did Potiphar’s wife try to get Joseph, her husband’s trusted employee, to do?

2. How did Potiphar, Joseph’s master respond?

3. Things went well for Joseph in prison. The lesson for us?

Epistle: Hebrews 11:24–26  
24By faith Moses refused to be called the son of Pharaoh’s daughter when he grew up. 25He chose to be mistreated with God’s people rather than enjoy sin for a little while. 26He considered disgrace for the sake of Christ as greater wealth than the treasures of Egypt, because he was looking ahead to his reward.

4. When Moses refused to be known any more as the son of Pharaoh’s daughter, what result was he choosing?

5. Why did Moses think of disgrace for Christ’s sake as more valuable than the treasurers of Egypt?

Gospel: Luke 9:18–24  
18One time when Jesus was praying alone and the disciples were with him, he asked them, “Who do the crowds say that I am?”
19They answered, “‘John the Baptist,’ but others say, ‘Elijah,’ and others say ‘one of the ancient prophets come back to life.’”
20He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?”
And Peter answered, “The Christ of God.”
21He gave them a strict command not to tell this to anyone. 22He said, “The Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders, chief priests, and experts in the law. He must be killed and be raised on the third day.”
23Jesus said to all of them, “If anyone wants to come after me, let him deny himself, take up his cross daily, and follow me. 24For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it.

6. How did Jesus react when Peter confessed him as God’s Anointed One?

7. Why did Jesus say he must suffer many things and must be killed?

8. What will happen to you if you want to save your life? If you lose your life for Jesus? 


Answers:
1. Potiphar’s wife tried to get Joseph to have sexual intercourse with her.

2. Potiphar got angry when his wife accused Joseph of trying to make fun of her (and worse). We do not read with whom he was angry, so we should not assume he was angry with Joseph; he may have been angry with his wife. In any case, Joseph was thrown in prison.

3. The way things went well for Joseph in prison—part of the whole story of how God turned bad into good, with Joseph and his family—teaches us to do the right thing always, for God’s sake. Following what God says may make us enemies and cause us many troubles, but God’s way is the best way. In the end we will see it.

4. By letting everyone know he was an Israelite, Moses deliberately chose to be mistreated.

5. Moses thought of disgrace for Christ’s sake as more valuable than the treasures of Egypt because he did not intend to get a reward right away. He was looking ahead to a reward. (Think of what Moses turned his back on. The remains of a minor young pharaoh from that era, Tutankhamun, were found inside a coffin of gold.)

6. See verses 20–21. Jesus warned them not to tell anyone. This may seem odd, until we realize that the disciples did not have a full understanding of Jesus as the Christ, “the Anointed One.” They often considered the Christ as one anointed for glory, but Jesus was one who was anointed for suffering.

7. See verse 22. By his suffering and death, Jesus would then conquer sin and death.

8. See verse 24. Whoever wants to save his life will end up losing it. Whoever loses his life will end up gaining life in Jesus.


 Putting your faith into action
To deny one’s self is not easy. Pushing aside our sinful nature is difficult. The plots of many movies and TV shows reflect the old visual effect used in cartoons: the angel on one shoulder and the devil on the other, both whispering into the ear of the subject—one suggesting good behavior, the other suggesting evil. As stewards, that selfishness comes to the surface much too often. Self comes first; God gets the leftovers. Much more time and money is spent on self rather than for God. As an individual I am so convicted by such statements that my reaction is to rise up to defend my choices, my rights. God says, “Leave self behind for once. Act like the steward of the Master’s property that you are. Be a servant to the Master’s plan for all that he gives into your care. Shoulder his burden, if you can.” And there’s a promise in there, for even if we use up our whole life in service to the Lord, he will give us a new one that we’ll never use up.


A reading from the Book of Concord for Pentecost 5
There is great need for us to call upon God and to pray, “Dear Father, forgive us our trespasses.”  It is not as though He did not forgive sin without and even before our prayer. (He has given us the Gospel, in which is pure forgiveness before we prayed or ever thought about it.)  But the purpose of this prayer is that we may recognize and receive such forgiveness.  The flesh in which we daily live is of such a nature that it neither trusts nor believes God.  It is ever active in evil lusts and devices, so that we sin daily in word and deed, by what we do and fail to do.  By this the conscience is thrown into unrest, so that it is afraid of God’s wrath and displeasure.  So it loses the comfort and confidence derived from the Gospel.  Therefore, it is always necessary that we receive consolation to comfort the conscience again.

This serves God’s purpose of breaking our pride and keeping us humble.  God has reserved this right for Himself: if anyone wants to boast of his godliness and despise others, that person is to think about himself and place this prayer before his eyes.  He will find that he is no better than others and that in God’s presence all must tuck their tails and be glad that they can gain forgiveness.  Let no one think that as long as he lives here he can reach such a position that he will not need such forgiveness.  In short, if God does not forgive without stopping, we are lost. – The Large Catechism, The Lord’s Prayer (paragraphs 88-91)


1  I walk in danger all the way; The thought shall never leave me
That Satan, who has marked his prey, Is plotting to deceive me.
This foe with hidden snares May seize me unawares
If e’er I fail to watch and pray; I walk in danger all the way.

2  I pass through trials all the way, With sin and ills contending;
In patience I must bear each day The cross of God’s own sending.
Oft in adversity I know not where to flee
When storms of woe my soul dismay; I pass through trials all the way.

3  Grim death pursues me all the way; Nowhere I rest securely.
He comes by night, he comes by day, And takes his prey most surely.
A failing breath, and I In death’s strong grasp may lie
To face eternity today. Grim death pursues me all the way.

4  I walk with angels all the way; They shield me and befriend me.
All Satan’s pow’r is held at bay When heav’nly hosts attend me.
They are my sure defense; All fear and sorrow, hence!
Unharmed by foes, do what they may, I walk with angels all the way.

5  I walk with Jesus all the way; His guidance never fails me.
He takes my ev’ry fear away When Satan’s pow’r assails me,
And, by his footsteps led, My path I safely tread.
In spite of ills that threaten may, I walk with Jesus all the way.

6  My walk is heav’nward all the way; Await, my soul, the morrow,
When you farewell can gladly say To all your sin and sorrow.
All worldly pomp, begone! To heav’n I now press on.
For all the world I would not stay; My walk is heav’nward all the way.

Text: Hans A. Brorson, 1694–1764; tr. Ditlef G. Ristad, 1863–1938, alt.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justified in Jesus

Water into blood and water into wine

Jesus has prepared a place for you - A funeral sermon for Jim Hermann