Thoughts from Luther (A “Do-It-Yourself” Devotion)

2 Thessalonians 2:15 So then, brothers, stand firm and hold to the teachings we passed on to you, whether by word of mouth or by letter.

Since we have just celebrated the Lutheran Reformation, who better to listen to and learn from than Dr. Martin Luther himself. Everybody has their favorite Luther quotes and some of mine follow. Poignant and powerful, his words, almost 500-years-old, are still, by God's grace, most pertinent. Please read, meditate, and enjoy:


”Every man must do two things alone; he must do his own believing and his own dying.”

“If we are correct and right in our Christian life at every point, but refuse to stand for the truth at a particular point where the battle rages – then we are traitors to Christ.”

“Some of us ... think to ourselves, ‘If I had only been there! How quick I would have been to help the baby. I would have washed his linen. How happy I would have been to go with the shepherds to see the Lord lying in the manger!’ Yes, we would! We say that because we know how great Christ is. But if we had been there at that time, we would have done no better than the people of Bethlehem. Why don't we do it now? We have Christ in our neighbor.”

“The Christian is supposed to love his neighbor, and since his wife is his nearest neighbor, she should be his deepest love.”

“Be a sinner and sin strongly, but more strongly have faith and rejoice in Christ.”

“Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree.”

“For where God built a church, there the Devil would also build a chapel.”

“When I consider my crosses, tribulations, and temptations, I shame myself almost to death, thinking what are they in comparison to the sufferings of my blessed Savior, Christ Jesus.”

“Next to faith this is the highest art – to be content with the calling in which God has placed you. I have not learned it yet.”

“Peace if possible, truth at all costs.”

“Pray, and let God worry.”

“I have held many things in my hands, and I have lost them all; but whatever I have placed in God's hands, that I still possess.”

“No man should be alone when he opposes Satan. The church and the ministry of the Word were instituted for this purpose that hands may be joined together and one may help another. If the prayer of one doesn't help, the prayer of another will.”

“Listen to the angel's song, all you who have a troubled heart! ‘I bring you good tidings of great joy!’ Jesus did not come to condemn you. If you want to define Christ rightly, then pay heed to how the angel defines Him, namely, 'a great joy!'”

“I cannot and will not recant anything, for to go against conscience is neither right nor safe. Here I stand, I can do no other, so help me God. Amen.”

And lest we think the only wise one in Luther's house was the Reformer ...
“I will stick to Christ as a burr to a topcoat!" (Those were the last words of Katherine Von Bora, Luther's wife.)

Grateful to be able to listen to Luther, Pastor Zarling

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justified in Jesus

Water into blood and water into wine

Jesus has prepared a place for you - A funeral sermon for Jim Hermann