Thank you for Pastor Appreciation

Thank you for all of your gifts for Pastor Appreciation! That money is being set aside for the trip that Shelley and I are taking right after Easter to go to Greece. We will be taking a pastors’ familiarization tour – much like I took to Israel a few years ago. The travel agency allows pastors and their wives to take this tour at a reduced price in the hopes that the pastor will lead his members in a tour the next time.
We will be walking in the Footsteps of Paul. The high points of the tour will be Athens, Corinth, Philippi and Thessalonica. Obviously, these are places where the Apostle Paul conducted ministry and established congregations. We will also be visiting a number of Greek Isles. When we return, I will conduct a Bible study on the travels of Paul.
A trip like this might seem like a vacation – and it is. However, it is so much more. Our Wisconsin Synod is really stressing that our pastors take continuing education classes at Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary or Martin Luther College. We are working at putting classes like these into Epiphany’s church budget. The Seminary has it set up that if the pastor pays for the class, then he pays the whole sum. However, if the church is willing to pay half of the cost for classes, the Seminary picks up the other half cost.
Presently, my schedule has not allowed me to take classes yet at the Seminary. I still have a full workload at Epiphany and WLS, plus I love spending time watching my girls in their cheerleading, basketball and soccer.  I also spend time coaching the girls on their WLS soccer team. It gives me the opportunity to be with my girls, but also coach the young boys and girls in our school and get to know them better. It adds a lot of hours to my week, but I always remember Jesus’ words, “From whom much as been given, much will be expected.”
The summer is filled with the New Hope Soccer Camp that Epiphany does jointly with New Hope in place of our VBS programs. And it is very successful! Over 80 campers each of the two years we’ve done it. And I’m also the head counselor for Training Camp at the end of July for 80 3rd-9th grade campers. And that has been very successful!
I love being busy and I truly love doing the ministry at Epiphany and WLS and beyond. Since I haven’t taken any continuing education classes at the Seminary, the Church Council and I felt this Footsteps of Paul trip to Greece would be a great way to further my education as a pastor. The trip you allowed me to take a few years ago to Israel with your Pastor Appreciation gifts was invaluable! Whenever I see shepherds, a stable or the holy family at Christmas, I immediately think of the fields, churches and locations where these events took place in and around Bethlehem. They come alive!
So, again, thank you for gifts and allowing Shelley and I to take this trip to Greece. Hopefully, in a few years, if you are interested, I will be able to take you to Greece with me to lead a tour of my own.
I wholeheartedly agree with the apostle Paul (he just said it first and by divine inspiration), “I thank my God every time I remember you” (Philippians 1:3).
Pastor Michael Zarling

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justified in Jesus

Water into blood and water into wine

Believe It or Not