Why?

Why? Why would someone cause such pain, heartache and death? Why is there so much evil in this world? Why does the world seem to keep getting worse – theater, temple, school? Why?

The Bible answers our questions of “Why.” “Because the days are evil” (Ephesians 5:16). “Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold” (Matthew 24:12). “There will be great distress in the land” (Luke 21:23).

Jesus predicted that things were going to get bad in these End Times. Satan and cohorts will unleash their evil upon this world. But when conditions worsen, when unexplainable tragedy strikes, Jesus encourages us, “See to it that you are not alarmed” (Matthew 24:6).

Trust in the ultimate victory that is ours. We live with one foot in this world and one foot straining for the next. We embrace the twin realities of current tragedy and eventual triumph. Yes, life is cruel. But it won’t be forever. As one of my friends likes to say, “Everything will work out in the end. If it’s not working out, it’s not the end.”

Why?

Because this world is a veil of tears. But Jesus promises a place where all your tears will be wiped away (Revelation 7:17). Because this world is filled with evil demons, evil people and just plain evil. But we have this comfort, “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me” (Psalm 23:4). Because, though humanity has once again let us down, we put our trust in Someone much greater than the mass of humanity, “But the Lord is faithful, and he will strengthen and protect you from the evil one” (2 Thessalonians 3:3).
 

Use David’s Psalm as a prayer with your family at this time of tragedy:

In you, O LORD, I have taken refuge; let me never be put to shame; deliver me in your righteousness. 2 Turn your ear to me, come quickly to my rescue; be my rock of refuge, a strong fortress to save me. 3 Since you are my rock and my fortress, for the sake of your name lead and guide me. 4 Free me from the trap that is set for me, for you are my refuge. 5 Into your hands I commit my spirit; redeem me, O LORD, the God of truth. 9 Be merciful to me, O LORD, for I am in distress; my eyes grow weak with sorrow, my soul and my body with grief. 10 My life is consumed by anguish and my years by groaning; my strength fails because of my affliction, and my bones grow weak. 14 But I trust in you, O LORD; I say, "You are my God." 15 My times are in your hands; deliver me from my enemies and from those who pursue me. 16 Let your face shine on your servant; save me in your unfailing love. 24 Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the LORD. (Psalm 31, selected verses)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justified in Jesus

Water into blood and water into wine

Believe It or Not