Who loves Jesus?

Jesus replied, "If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. 24 He who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me. 25 "All this I have spoken while still with you. 26 But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. 27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. 28 "You heard me say, 'I am going away and I am coming back to you.' If you loved me, you would be glad that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I. 29 I have told you now before it happens, so that when it does happen you will believe.” John 14:23-29

Who loves Jesus?  The one who keeps Jesus’ words (expanded from “commandments” in verse 21). Not simply the law, but also the Gospel, which creates new life in us. Jesus is the Logos who speaks logoi. He is the Word who speaks words. He is the Word made flesh who gives spiritual life to earthly flesh.

The blessings come as we “keep” his words.  Yes, we obey the law, but so much more: we treasure the Word, hold to it.  Think of the Lord of the Rings movies, where the last stronghold in battle is the inner fortress called the castle keep.  This is where you go for maximum safety.  This is where you keep your precious valuables.  We keep Jesus’ words.  Those who don’t love him don’t keep his words.

As we keep his words, the Father loves us.  Jesus and the Father make their home with us.  Jesus does not force himself on people, like an enemy conqueror.  Instead he dwells with those who love him.  Old Testament believers had the tabernacle, the pillar of cloud, the temple, all reminders that God was with them.  Now through his Word God assures us that he is on our side today.  The Holy Spirit is sent to stand at our side, and to teach and remind.  He would inspire Jesus’ apostles in their teaching and writing—thus we know every word of Scripture is true.  He comes today through that inspired Word to strengthen our faith.


Jesus gives peace not like the world’s; not temporary, and certainly not mere physical peace.  When does this peace come? See verse 28, as Jesus goes to the Father by going to the cross.  It is on the cross and from the grave that Jesus gives us peace that is beyond all human understanding. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justified in Jesus

Water into blood and water into wine

Jesus has prepared a place for you - A funeral sermon for Jim Hermann