Ashes of Sorrow


Psalm 51:1 A psalm of David. When the prophet Nathan came to him after David had committed adultery with Bathsheba. Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions. 2 Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin. 3 For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me. 4 Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight, so that you are proved right when you speak and justified when you judge. 5 Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me.

In the Old Testament it was common practice for individuals to show sorrow over sin by wearing sackcloth and sitting in ashes. It was an attempt to show on the outside the misery that was going on inside. As Christians celebrate Ash Wednesday today, we continue to be sorrowful over the sins we have committed.

This evening at Epiphany, you may visibly show the sorrow that is inside by either making the sign of the cross in ashes upon your forehead or making an ashen cross upon a sackcloth banner. The symbolism is the same – sorrow over sin.

The Holy Spirit inspired King David to write Psalm 51 because David was finally sorrowful over his sin of committing adultery with Bathsheba. 2 Samuel 11 and 12 paint an ugly picture of David the sinner. King David looked out from his palace and saw Bathsheba, the wife of Uriah, one of David’s soldiers, bathing on her rooftop. He had to have her. And he did. He slept with Bathsheba and she became pregnant. After attempts to cover up the affair failed, David arranged to have Uriah killed in battle. Then David further covered his sin by taking Bathsheba to be his wife and making himself look good before all his citizens by taking in this mourning, pregnant, widow.

David’s sin was horrible and damnable.

David asked for forgiveness that he knew he did not deserve. So rather than trying to candy-coat his actions, he was honest. He admits sin, iniquity, transgression and evil which had affected and infected him from the time he was born. David did not deserve to be forgiven, so he simply threw himself on God’s mercy begging for forgiveness. It was a forgiveness that God freely gave him.

Today is a day for you to be honest with God about your sin. Don’t hold anything back. Confess to the Lord all the sins, iniquities, transgressions and evil that is lurking in your sinful heart. Tell him about the pent-up anger and resentment. Fill Him in on the gossip and lies. Bend His ear to the way you fill up your life with worthless pursuits while virtually ignoring His priorities. Admit that your devotion and prayer life is almost non-existent and that’s the reason why you feel dried up and worn out.

Our sins are horrible and damnable.

Today is also the start of the season of Lent. Lent is a Christian season when we consider the payment that Jesus made for our sin. We follow Jesus during these forty days of Lent to His cross and then His open grave. Along the way we see that Jesus takes our sin and gives us salvation. He turns our sorrow into jubilation. He replaces our ashes with the oil of gladness.

Though we do not deserve it, Jesus gives us unfailing love and great compassion as He cleanses us from all our sins.

Join King David today in sorrowing over your sin. Be assured that through Jesus Christ you have been forgiven!

An Ash Wednesday Liturgy that you can use for your own private meditation today:

M: For I eat ashes as my food and mingle my drink with tears because of your great wrath, for you have taken me up and thrown me aside. My days are like the evening shadow; I wither away like grass. But you, O LORD, sit enthroned forever; your renown endures through all generations. You will arise and have compassion on Zion, for it is time to show favor to her.
C: The appointed time has come. (Ps 102:9-13)

M: Gracious Lord, ashes remind us of our human frailty and morality. You are eternal, but we are limited in our days. Someday we will return to dust and ashes. You remind us of this in your Word.
C: Dust we are and to dust we shall return. (Gen 3:19; Ps 90:3)

M: Ashes speak of condemnation for sin. When Adam fell into sin, judgment and death came to all. Since we all are born into sin, we are marked for death and ashes.
C: Dust we are and to dust we shall return.

M: Ashes speak of our total dependence upon you, O God. We are but frail human beings who must rely upon you, dear Father. We think we are capable of taking care of ourselves and make our own plans for greatness. However, so often these plans fail and crumble into ashes.
C: Dust we are and to dust we shall return.

M; Ashes speak of our humiliation and repentance. As people in the Bible humbled themselves and expressed their repentance and mourning in the signs of sackcloth and ashes, we also humble ourselves before you, O God, as we ask you to forgive our sins through Jesus Christ, our Lord. As we repent we put on dust and ashes.
C: Dust we are and to dust we shall return.

M: People of God, as we see the meaning of ashes and dust for us as Christians, we now make our earnest confession unto the Lord.
C: Almighty God, you have always warned your people against trusting in false gods. We are sinful and this nature has given birth to sinful deeds: things we have done and things we have left undone. We are but dust and ashes of the ground and we deserve nothing more than to return to the dust. Though we deserve your stern judgment, but for the sake of our Lord Jesus Christ, forgive and renew us. Amen.

M: You have heard the Word of the Lord, “Repent and believe the gospel.” With these words, Jesus began his ministry and now directs us to make repentance and hear his good news. Therefore, as you have made repentance, now hear the gospel. I, as a called and ordained servant of Christ, announce to you the grace of God. Your sins are forgiven, in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Hymn: “Jesus, I Will Ponder Now” CW: 98
Jesus, I will ponder now On your holy passion;
With your Spirit me endow For such meditation.
Grant that I in love and faith May the image cherish
Of your suff'ring, pain, and death That I may not perish.

Make me see your great distress, Anguish, and affliction,
Bonds and stripes and wretchedness And your crucifixion;
Make me see how scourge and rod, Spear and nails did wound you,
How for them you died, O God, Who with thorns had crowned you.

Yet, O Lord, not thus alone Make me see your passion,
But its cause to me make known And its termination.
Ah! I also and my sin Wrought your deep affliction;
This indeed the cause has been Of your crucifixion.

If my sins give me alarm And my conscience grieve me,
Let your cross my fear disarm; Peace of conscience give me.
Help me see forgiveness won By your holy passion.
If for me he slays his Son, God must have compassion!

Grant that I your passion view With repentant grieving.
Let me not bring shame to you By unholy living.
How could I refuse to shun Ev'ry sinful pleasure
Since for me God's only Son Suffered without measure?

Graciously my faith renew; Help me bear my crosses,
Learning humbleness from you, Peace mid pain and losses.
May I give you love for love! Hear me, O my Savior,
That I may in heav'n above Sing your praise forever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justified in Jesus

Water into blood and water into wine

Jesus has prepared a place for you - A funeral sermon for Jim Hermann