Istanbul not Constantinople



We had a 7 hour layover in Istanbul on the way to Israel. All anybody from my generation could think of was the They Might Be Giants song, Istanbul not Constantinople.

We were able to get out and see a few sights, spend a few minutes in the Open Market, and eat some scewered chicken with baclava and turkish coffee for dessert. We were able to walk around for a few minutes in the shops before we had to go back to the airport. One of the clerks tried selling Pastor Pagel a Tree of Life rug made from camel hair. All the other rugs were $350. This one was $1250! But Pastor Pagel was able to get the price down to $350. Still no sale.

After flying out of Cairo we spent 6 hours in the Istanbul airport napping, playing sheepshead and going through lots of security. Then we flew 12 hours back to the states.

Some interesting statistics - at least to me. We left our hotel at 12:30 am on Friday and landed in Chicago at 4:30 pm on Friday. That doesn't sound bad except for the 8 hour time difference. We were traveling for 22 1/2 hours. On our travels we were in and also played sheepshead in 4 continents - North America, Europe and Asia (Istanbul is in both continents), Asia (Israel) and Africa (Egypt). When I arrived home I saw a friend at Wal-Mart who didn't know I had just arrived home from Israel. She asked how I was doing. I told I was great - considering that I had been in Egypt that morning!

I am extremely grateful to the members of Epiphany who have allowed me to take this trip! This was the ultimate Bible study! Lord willing, I am hoping to lead a tour of the Holy Land in January of 2011. And I want you to go with me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justified in Jesus

Water into blood and water into wine

Jesus has prepared a place for you - A funeral sermon for Jim Hermann