Christ in Our Home devotions Oct 10 - Oct 16, 2016

Christ In Our Home Devotions

22nd Sunday after Pentecost
The believer prays persistently


1. Make the sign of the cross over yourself and say:
In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.


2. Pray Luther’s Morning or Evening Prayer:
I thank you, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, your dear Son, that you have kept me this night from all harm and danger. Keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please you. Into your hands I commend my body and soul and all things. Let your holy angel be with me, that the wicked foe may have no power over me. Amen.

I thank you, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, your dear Son, that you have graciously kept me this day. Forgive me all my sins, and graciously keep me this night. Into your hands I commend my body and soul and all things. Let your holy angel be with me, that the wicked foe may have no power over me. Amen.


3. Pray the Lord’s Prayer:
Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as in heaven. Give us today our daily bread. Forgive us our sins, as we forgive those who sin against us. Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours now and forever. Amen.


4. Pray the Prayer of the Week
Lord, keep your household, the Church, in continual godliness and set us free from all adversities that, under your protection, we may serve you with true devotion and holy deeds; through Jesus Christ, your Son, our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen.


5. Say the Apostles’ Creed:
     I believe in God, the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth.
     I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died and was buried. He descended into hell. The third day he rose again from the dead. He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of God the Father Almighty. From there he will come to judge the living and the dead.
     I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy Christian Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. Amen.


6. Pray the Psalm of the Week: Psalm 121
Refrain: Keep me, keep me as the apple of your eye.
Hide me, hide me in the shadow of your wings.

I lift up my eyes to the hills.*
Where does my help come from?
My help comes from the LORD,*
the maker of heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot slip,*
he who watches over you will not slumber;
indeed, he who watches over Israel*
will neither slumber nor sleep.

Refrain

The LORD watches over you,*
the LORD is your shade at your right hand.
The LORD will keep you from all harm,*
he will watch over your life;
the LORD will watch over your coming and going*
both now and forevermore.
Glory be to the Father and to the Son*
and to the Holy Spirit,
as it was in the beginning,*
is now, and will be forever. Amen.

Refrain


7. Say the Verse of the Week:
Alleluia. For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works. Alleluia. (Ephesians 2:10a)


8. Read a Devotion or the Following Suggested Scriptures
M: Isaiah 43-44; Colossians 2
T: Isaiah 45-47; Colossians 3
W: Isaiah 48-49; Colossians 4
T: Isaiah 50-52; 1 Thessalonians 1
F: Isaiah 53-55; 1 Thessalonians 2
S: Isaiah 56-58; 1 Thessalonians 3
S: Isaiah 59-61; 1 Thessalonians 4 & Worship in the House of the Lord


9. Prayer of JOY: Jesus; Others; and Yourself


10. Sing or Say the Hymn of the Week: 
448  In You, O Lord, I Put My Trust
1  In you, O Lord, I put my trust—
Leave me not helpless in the dust;
Let me not be confounded.
My faith, O Lord, Must in your Word
Be always firmly grounded.

2  Oh, listen, Lord, most graciously,
And hear my cry, my prayer, my plea;
Make haste for my protection,
For woes and fear Surround me here.
Help me in my affliction.

Text: Adam Reusner, 1496–c. 1575, abr.; tr. Catherine Winkworth, 1827–78, st. 1-4, alt.;
The Lutheran Hymnal, St. Louis, 1941, st. 5, alt.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justified in Jesus

Water into blood and water into wine

Believe It or Not