Christ in Our Home devotions Oct 31 - Nov 5, 2016

Christ In Our Home Devotions

Last Judgment
Jesus will come to judge


1. Make the sign of the cross over yourself and say:
In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.


2. Pray Luther’s Morning or Evening Prayer:
I thank you, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, your dear Son, that you have kept me this night from all harm and danger. Keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please you. Into your hands I commend my body and soul and all things. Let your holy angel be with me, that the wicked foe may have no power over me. Amen.

I thank you, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, your dear Son, that you have graciously kept me this day. Forgive me all my sins, and graciously keep me this night. Into your hands I commend my body and soul and all things. Let your holy angel be with me, that the wicked foe may have no power over me. Amen.

3. Pray the Lord’s Prayer:
Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as in heaven. Give us today our daily bread. Forgive us our sins, as we forgive those who sin against us. Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours now and forever. Amen.

4. Pray the Prayer of the Week
Lord God Almighty, so rule and govern our hearts and minds by your Holy Spirit that we may always look forward to the end of this present evil age and to the day of your righteous judgment.  Keep us steadfast in true and living faith and present us at last holy and blameless before you; through your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. God, now and forever. Amen.

5. Say the Apostles’ Creed:
     I believe in God, the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth.
     I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died and was buried. He descended into hell. The third day he rose again from the dead. He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of God the Father Almighty. From there he will come to judge the living and the dead.
     I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy Christian Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. Amen.


6. Pray the Psalm of the Week: Psalm 90
Refrain: In ev’ry age, O Lord, you have been our refuge.

Lord, you have been our dwelling place*
throughout all generations.
Before the mountains were born
or you brought forth the earth and the world,*
from everlasting to everlasting you are God.
For a thousand years in your sight are like a day
that has just gone by,*
or like a watch in the night.

Refrain

You have set our iniquities before you,*
our secret sins in the light of your presence.
You turn mortals back to dust.*
You sweep them away in the sleep of death.
The length of our days is seventy years—
or eighty, if we have the strength;*
yet their span is but trouble and sorrow.
Teach us to number our days aright,*
that we may gain a heart of wisdom.

Refrain

Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love,*
that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days.
Glory be to the Father and to the Son*
and to the Holy Spirit,
as it was in the beginning,*
is now, and will be forever. Amen.

Refrain


7. Say the Verse of the Week:
Alleluia. Watch therefore, for you do not know on what day your Lord is coming. Alleluia. (Matthew 24:42)


8. Read a Devotion or the Following Suggested Scriptures
M: Jeremiah 29-30; Titus 1
T: Jeremiah 31-32; Titus 2
W: Jeremiah 33-35; Titus 3
T: Jeremiah 36-37; Philemon 1
F: Jeremiah 38-39; Hebrews 1
S: Jeremiah 40-42; Hebrews 2
S: Jeremiah 43-45; Hebrews 3 & Worship in the House of the Lord


9. Prayer of JOY: Jesus; Others; and Yourself


10. Sing or Say the Hymn of the Week: 
456  Forth in Your Name, O Lord, I Go
1  Forth in your name, O Lord, I go,
My daily labor to pursue,
Determined only you to know
In all I think or speak or do.

2  Oh, let me cheerfully fulfill
The task your wisdom has assigned
And do your good and perfect will—
In all my works your presence find!

3  May I find you at my right hand;
Your eyes see truly what I do.
I labor on at your command
And offer all my works to you.

4  Give me to bear your easy yoke
And ev’ry moment watch and pray
And still to things eternal look
And hasten to your glorious day.

5  For you I joyously employ
Whatever you in grace have giv’n;
I run my daily course with joy
And closely walk with you to heav’n.

Text: Charles Wesley, 1707–88, abr., alt.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justified in Jesus

Water into blood and water into wine

Believe It or Not